The F T Construction Group was formed in 1987 to
amalgamate the well respected and long established
names within the construction industry of Fordy and
It created a substantial construction group with a current
turnover of £40 million and more than 300 employees.
The F T Construction Group was formed in 1987 to amalgamate the well respected and long established names within the construction industry of Fordy and Thompson.
It created a substantial construction group with a current turnover of £40 million and more than 300 employees.
Walter Thompson although originally formed in 1920 began trading in earnest after the 2nd World War, building new housing estates, hospitals, schools and office accommodation. Predominantly working in Northallerton and the surrounding area Walter Thompson soon gained a reputation as a quality family builder and became one of Northallerton’s major employers.
During this same period a House Builder and General Contractor called George Fordy & Son of Teesside were also making their mark and gaining an enviable reputation not only as a house builder but working for local councils and Health Authorities alike. The company was established in 1908 and both companies often found themselves bidding for the same work.
Through strong family ties and following many successful years trading for both companies it became apparent that a merger would be both beneficial and cost effective working from one office, so in 1987 the FT Construction Group was formed using Construction House, Northallerton as its base of operations.
Walter Thompson continued trading as a General Contractor while George Fordy focused on House Building, Private Development and Property Investment.
Langtons (Northallerton) Ltd was a local steel fabrication company working for mainly the farming community specialising in agricultural installations. This business was acquired by Walter Thompson in 1961 and following the move to its new premises on Finkills Way, Northallerton in 1975, the company then started to develop the steel fabrication side of the business to sit alongside its thriving products market. Following on from its 45 year stay at Finkills Way, Langtons have now moved into a fully equipped modern workshop based on Thurston Road, Northallerton. Langtons can trace its origins back to 1830 when it operated a forge and ironworks business on Friarage Street, Northallerton.
Looking to expand into the Reactive and Planned Maintenance market the FT Group acquired Tom Willoughby Ltd in 1994. This local maintenance company also came with a long history of its own, working in and around Northallerton from as far back as 1896. It moved into its new premises on Standard Way, Northallerton back in the mid 1980’s and now has regional offices in Harrogate, Leeming and Catterick.
FT Group Timeline
1830 – Langtons (Northallerton) Ltd Established
1896 – Tom Willoughby Ltd Established
George Fordy & Son – Established in 1908
1920 – Walter Thompson Formed
1961 – Walter Thompson Acquires Langtons
1987 – FT Construction Group Formed
1994 – FT Group Acquired Tom Willoughby Ltd